Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Good Night Philadelphia



Goodnight Moon:
...Goodnight room
Goodnight moon
Good night cow jumping over the moon
Goodnight light
And the red balloon
Goodnight bears
Goodnight chairs
Goodnight kittens
And goodnight mittens
Goodnight clocks
And goodnight socks
Goodnight little house
And goodnight mouse
Goodnight comb
And goodnight brush
Goodnight nobody
Goodnight mush
And goodnight to the old lady
whispering "hush"
Goodnight stars
Goodnight air
Goodnight noises everywhere.

~Margaret Wise Brown

I spent the past four days and night exploring Philadelphia.  While I was here for work, I was also able to enjoy the many sights and sounds as well.  I started my week with an amazingly talented group of women I met through the blogging community and I ended my time in Philadelphia with one of my amazing students and her family. 

Let me tell you a little about C.  C is in second grade and has a heart of gold.  While the cards she was dealt in life may not have been all aces, she faces each day with a smile because she knows God loves her and made her so very special.  She faces her challenges knowing God is always by her side no matter what. 

C. and her family live outside of Philadelphia so when I knew I was going to be staying in Philly for a week, I called C.'s mom and asked if we could meet one night and have dinner, since I probably wouldn't get to meet her any other time.  C. was so excited and couldn't wait to come into the big city!  I was probably just as excited as she was! 

C.'s dad, Matt was super insistant that he get to come along and meet Mrs. Sharpe too!  So they all piled into their car,even little sister S.,  and met me in my hotel lobby. 
It was such a beautiful night we decided to walk to dinner.  Wow...I could get used to this! How awesome is it that we can walk a few blocks and have our pick of resturants! 

C. and S. have never seen the Liberty Bell or Independance Hall so since they were on our way, we took a quick peek at the bell from the outside, since it was already closed for the day.  After all, the teacher in me can't let a good teaching moment slip through my fingers! (Make sure you log that time mom!)

After dinner, which I might say was specatalar, we started our walk back to the hotel.  We stopped to take a few pictures along the way.  We admired all of the American flags waving in the breeze...I believe I counted four in a one block radius! 
C. and her family stopped by Independance Hall for a quick family photo.  While I captured a few more pictures!  I learned that C.'s dad used to work at the US Mint after he graduated from college.  He was surprised to learn you can still take tours of the mint and hopes to return to show his girls where he once worked.  Across the street from the Mint is Ben Franklin's grave site.  We of course had to stop and pay our respects.  The girls each tossed a penny on his grave and of course posed for a picture! 

I was sad to see our time come to an end as I was so enjoying spending some time getting to know C. and her family.  I am so blessed to have the opportunity to work with C. and her mom.  I will miss talking to her next year when she moves on to third grade.  I know God crossed our paths for a reason and hope to never lose contact with her.  She, as well as her family will always have a special place in my heart.  Before I end my post, I want to share something C. said to me this evening.  After we said our goodbyes in the hotel lobby, I told C. I was going to walk with them to their car. 
C. turned to me and asked, " Mrs. Sharpe, will you be ok walking back to the hotel?"
Her concern for me almost brought tears to my eyes. 
Let me remind you all...she is in second grade!

C. and S. and mom and dad too,
Thank you for making my trip to Philadelphia complete.  I am so honored you wanted to have dinner with me.  I enjoyed getting to know you and your family.  In fact I learned so much more than I could ever imagine!  I never knew South Africa was a country...did you Dad? :) 

Good night sweet family and Good night Philadelphia.  I've enjoyed my stay and am sad to leave...you've almost turned me into a city girl!  I don't think I could ever truly be a city girl but it was sure fun while it lasted. 


Focusing on Him,
~W~





6 comments:

  1. Wow Wendy! I am sure you played a huge part in that little girls life and she will never forget you. You are such a special woman!
    On to the pic...holy cow that is so amazingly beautiful! Wish I could have seen it at night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shay! I wish you would have been there to capture it with me!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful dinner! Safe travels

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great ending to your visit to my Philly :). Love that sunset you captured. Can't wait for your next visit :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. GORGEOUS photo. Sounds like you had a perfect ending to your stay. I'm sure your family (and Shay) were glad for you to get back home.

    ReplyDelete